Thursday, September 30, 2010

2000- American Beauty

Sam Mendes’s 1999 film American Beauty is probably the only film I have seen in my life that I could actually say was life changing.

The film focuses on a man, Lester Burnham, played by Kevin Spacey, having what would typically be referred to as a mid life crisis as he decides his life is a fabrication, each individual element being specially constructed by his wife to keep up the appearance of the perfect suburban family. As a result he develops an infatuation with his daughter’s friend Angela, played by Mena Suvari, quits his job, starts smoking marijuana and gets a job flipping burgers at “Mr Smiley’s.”



Although the film was made in 1999 it won its wealth of awards in 2000 so that’s why I’ve included it in this yea. The film won Peoples Choice award at the Toronto Film Festival, and was nominated for 8 academy awards as well as being given “Top Honours” from industry organizations. The film is visually splendid in its cinematography and brutally honest in its portrayal of suburban life. The Soundtrack is amazing and the imagery of the rose petal ties a string of amazing metaphors together resulting in a fantastic film that is one for the ages.

American Beauty was so personally inspiring because in the process of his life spiraling out of control Lester develops an approach to his life that is so incredibly refreshing. His voice over from beyond the grave says at the end of the film:
 “Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst and then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life..."
This is a sentiment I try to live my live by.
Relax, enjoy life and most importantly… this weekend watch American Beauty.


See the Trailer Here


Alex
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment